Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Consider the Lilies




I saw this beautiful art quilt at the Houston International Quilt Festival in 2006. I remember standing in front of it thinking it was incredible, but also thinking that's not something I could ever do. I'm a traditional quilter all the way. I love the old patterns like Churn Dash and Ohio Star and Snail's Trail. I love the old fabrics, whatever era. I remember thinking this must take a lot of dedicated time and a lot of dedicated brain power to make. Not me, I don't want to do that.

Then I saw these.



The first couple of years after my parents died (they died the same year, just four months and a day apart and that's a whole 'nother story) I bought Easter Lilies in their honor to be placed in the sanctuary on Easter morning. We brought them home after church and planted them here under this tree where I could see them from my deck. There are now way more than four lilies and they just keep spreading. Looking at them makes me wish I could make a quilt that looks like that! Not a traditional quilt but one that reflects the beauty that God put in the lily. An art quilt!

Every time I see them I am reminded of the verse from Matthew 6: "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." God does such beautiful work.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

How nice to be your first visitor on this particular posting! Thank you so much for visiting me at Thatchwick for the great porch party! I am also a quilter and busy with some 'free' time putting a Road to Oklahoma together! I will certainly post a pic later. I wanted to comment on so many of your entries! On the topic of Bibles, I love my dear old King James, a 21st birthday present from my Dad. It is written in, dated, scribbled in, needs re-biding but somehow it remains my favourite. I am off to visit my granddaughters this weekend and I think I shall have a dialogue something like yours. Have a happy day at the lake. Eleanor

Rhondi said...

Ilove that verse too! You could make a quilt with the lilies as the pattern. Just to to the copy store and get one of your photos enlarged. Then outline the major shapes. Do a ramdom patchwork of different greens for the background then applique the flowers using the pattern you traced. You could do it.
The words I did over my kitchensink wer easy. I found a font I liked and wrote out the verse, then enlarged it. I transfered the words to the wall with some transfer paper, then took a wide marker and wrote on top of the traced lines.
If you wanted to do the same font as I have, you are welcome to copy my picture and enlarge it and use it for your pattern.
Hugs, Rhondi

sister sheri said...

What a beautiful reminder... your lilies are lovely!